How could this help me?

You may need to give someone you trust access to your credit card and loan accounts so they can help you manage your money.

There are many reasons why you might need someone else to do this for you. For example, you may have a serious health condition or want to get things ready for when you might not be able to manage in the future.

Giving someone the ability to manage your money for you is an important decision, but it could be essential for your future well-being. It could also give you, and the person caring for you, peace of mind that everything is being looked after.

Types of access

There are different types of access available depending on your situation.

Power of attorney

This gives someone the legal authority to make decisions on your behalf.

Court order

A court will appoint someone to act on your behalf if you are unable to do so.

What do I need to do?

If you know what access you need, your appointed person can follow this step-by-step guide to arrange it with us:

1) Prepare your documents

Your appointed person will need to show us the following: 

  • Power of attorney or court order documents

We need original documents or copies signed by a solicitor or other legal professional. If you registered a lasting power of attorney after September 2019 and received a digital code to be shared with banks and financial institutions, you can use this instead.

  • Proof of identity and address

We’ll need to confirm the identity of your appointed person. Please see our list of acceptable identification.

2) Contact us

Your appointed person can phone us on 0800 085 9131 when they have all the documentation to hand. 

If you need to post anything to us, use this address:

MBNA Representative Access Unit
MBNA Limited
Credit Card Operations

3) We'll confirm your access

Once everything is complete, we’ll confirm that your appointed person will be able to use our:

  • Telephone services to discuss and call your credit card or loan account with us.
  • Online Card Services to access and manage your credit card online.

More help and guidance

If you need help to register a power of attorney or court order for someone else, call us on 0800 085 9131 and our specialist team will support you.

You can get further advice and information from the Office of the Public Guardian in England and Wales, the Office of the Public Guardian in Scotland, the Office of Care and Protection in Northern Ireland or your solicitor. 

Supporting you in exceptional circumstances

We appreciate that there will be times where you need to support a family member with their finances but do not have any power of attorney or third party access in place.

If you are in this position and need to talk to someone, please contact us on 0800 085 9131 and we may be able to help in the short term while you apply for longer term access.

What to do if your situation changes