Loans frequently asked questions
Find answers to your questions about loans – from how to get in touch to understanding what you need to apply.
You can apply for a loan if:
- You’re aged 18 or over.
- You’re a UK resident.
- You’re in paid employment, or have a regular income.
- You’re not in full-time education.
- You’ve not been declined for credit in the last month.
- You don’t have a history of bad credit.
To find out if you can apply for a loan now, answer a few quick questions using our eligibility checker. If pre-approved, you also get a personalised rate, with no effect on your credit score.
- Your address details for the last 3 years.
- Your current employment details, if you’re in work.
- Your monthly income and your monthly expenses.
- Your UK bank or building society account details.
If you’re approved, you should have the money in your account within 2 hours. In some cases it may take a bit longer to have the money in your account - but no more than 3 working days.
In most cases you'll get an instant decision.
In a very few cases, it can take a little longer. In these cases, you may be asked to give more details about yourself over the phone. Once these details have been checked, you can get a decision.
Your first repayment is due within one month from the date you’re given the loan.
It's different if you choose a monthly repayment date which is within 9 days of being given the loan. If you do this then you could choose to make your first repayment:
- At the start of the agreement by debit card or;
- When the first direct debit is taken on your chosen date in the next month.
If you wait until the next month for your first repayment to be made by direct debit, this will extend the length of your loan. This means that you would pay back more overall, as interest will be charged from the date you get the loan.
For the full list of ways to say hello, have a look at our contact us page.
Our eligibility checker is an online tool you can use to tell us a bit about you and your circumstances. By answering a few questions, you can:
- find out if you're eligible to apply for a loan.
- if pre-approved, get a personalised rate.
- relax - as long as nothing's changed, you don't need to re-type any of the details you've already given us.
All of this, before you apply and with no effect on your credit score.
To help us get to know you a bit better, here's a few things we'll need from you:
- your personal and contact details.
- details about your money coming in and going out.
- your employment details.
Don't worry, as long as nothing's changed, there's no need to type these details again if you go on to apply.
Making sure you get a fair deal
We want you to find a product that's right for your circumstances. This is why MBNA adhere to the Standards of Lending Practice, which are monitored and enforced by the Lending Standards Board.
To find out more you can read the statement of responsibilities (PDF, 275KB), which details what's expected of MBNA (part of Lloyds Banking Group) and you the borrower.