Clever Check - our credit card eligibility checker
A clever way to find a credit card
Clever Check makes it easier to find and compare MBNA credit cards you’re eligible to apply for. Complete one form to find out exactly where you stand without impacting your credit file… it takes just a few minutes.
Check out our Clever Check video
By narrowing the search to cards you’re eligible to apply for, with the credit limit you can expect, choosing an MBNA credit card should be that bit easier.
Watch our video to discover how quick and easy it is to use Clever Check.
How Clever Check works
- Based on the details you provide we'll complete a 'quotation search' or 'soft search', checking against the records held at the credit reference agencies and the history of any accounts held with MBNA, either now or in the past.
- The form is easy to complete and our checks take a matter of seconds. You could even get a pre-approved offer (which is the closest thing to a guarantee we can give).
- Once you’ve picked out a card, we’ll carry the information provided over to the full application form, so you won’t need to type it all again.
- We’ll only complete a full credit search if you go on to complete a full application.
- As you’d expect, completing a Clever Check is safe and secure. Eligibility pre-check/check terms apply.
Your estimated credit limit up-front
We’re the first credit provider to show your estimated credit limit as part of your Clever Check results, giving you a full picture of whether a card is likely to meet your needs. That’s more information than ever, earlier than ever, helping to inform your decision on whether to apply.
Again, that’s before you spend time completing a full application and without affecting your credit record. 95% of new customers get at least the credit limit shown once their full application has been approved.
To be eligible, you must:
- Be a UK resident, aged 18 or over, with a regular annual income.
- Provide at least 3 years’ UK address history, an email address and phone number.
- Provide your main bank account number and sort code.
- Be free of County Court Judgements (CCJs), Individual Voluntary Agreements (IVAs) or bankruptcies.
- Not be unemployed or a student.
- Not have been declined for an MBNA credit card within the last 30 days.
We also consider things like:
·Your credit history, both past and present, including previous full credit searches and affordability based on your income.
After your Clever Check
To request a transfer as part of your application, you’ll need your non-MBNA credit or store card details to hand (Visa®, Mastercard® or American Express®). You can do this later if you’d prefer.
Making sure you get a fair deal
We want you to find a credit card that's right for your circumstances, which is why we adhere to the Standards of Lending Practice, which are monitored and enforced by the Lending Standards Board.
To find out more you can read the statement of responsibilities (PDF), which details what's expected of us, the lender and you the borrower.