Getting in touch

You’ll need to use one of our online forms or call us by phone. Please read the information in each section carefully, so you can see what to do next.

If you’re waiting for the death certificate or other proof or death

Please use our online notification form. This will freeze all accounts straightaway. You can also do this over the phone if you prefer.

Online notification form

Call: 0800 028 0691 (+44(0)1244 757 230 if you’re outside the UK). We’re here 8am-8pm every day

Once you’ve got the proof of death, you’ll need to get back in touch with us. 

If you have proof of death

Please use our bereavement registration form. You’ll also need to upload a scan or photo of the proof of death and proof of your identity. Documents we’ll accept are listed lower down this page.

Bereavement registration form

Alternatively, you can call us on 0800 028 0691 (+44(0)1244 757 230 if you’re outside the UK). We’re here 8am-8pm every day. 

When you call, we’ll talk you through things like closing accounts, and make sure you know what’s happening, and are getting the right level of support.

Closing other accounts

To keep things simple for you, we’ll sort out any of these brands across our whole group at the same time: 

  • MBNA
  • Lloyds Bank
  • Halifax
  • Bank of Scotland

Once we’ve received a death certificate, we’ll also notify these brands for you: 

  • Scottish Widows
  • Clerical Medical
  • Birmingham Midshires

Depending on the balance on the accounts, a grant of probate/confirmation might be needed. If this is the case, we’ll let you know.

You can also use the free Death Notification Service to let other organisations know the account holder has passed away.  

The government’s Tell Us Once service will contact relevant government services, including HMRC, for you.

    • UK, EU, or EEA driving licence
    • Current Passport
    • EU/EEA identity card
    • Northern Ireland Electoral Identity Card  
    • Disabled driver pass 

    Or (dated within the last 3 months)

    • HMRC assessment or statement
    • HMRC construction industry registration card or certificate (CIS4, CIS5, or CIS6)
    • Council Tax, bank statement or utility bill
    • Council rent card or tenancy agreement 
    • Mortgage statement
    • Letter from a solicitor
    • UK or foreign death certificate
    • Interim UK death certificate or coroners’ certificate 
    • Abbreviated extract of death (Scotland)
    • Grant of representation
    • Grant of probate (England, Wales, and Northern Ireland)
    • Letters of administration (England, Wales, and Northern Ireland)
    • Certificate/Grant of confirmation (Scotland)

If you’re not an MBNA or Lloyds Banking Group customer, you’ll need to provide 2 forms of identification.

  • How do I get a death certificate?

    When someone dies, you’ll get a medical certificate which shows the cause of death. If you take this to a registrar of births, deaths, and marriages, they'll give you a death certificate. You need this to prove someone has actually died. It’s a good idea to ask for more than 1 copy because you'll probably have to show it a few times.

    Sometimes, the cause of death isn't known. When this happens, the coroner will give you an interim certificate, which you can use instead of a death certificate.  

    How do I pay for the funeral and other urgent expenses?

    If the deceased has money in their bank accounts, it can be used for:

    • Funeral costs
    • Inheritance tax
    • Probate or confirmation fees

    What will happen with credit cards?

    Additional cardholders named on accounts won’t be able to use their cards anymore. 

    If the deceased person owed money on any credit cards, there are several options. Usually, we’ll use any other current or savings account balances they have with us to pay them off. If their cards are covered by repayment insurance, we’ll tell you how to make a claim. If neither of these apply, we’ll get in touch to discuss things further. 

    What will happen with loan accounts?

    If the loan was just in the deceased’s name and they have money in their other accounts, we’ll discuss your options when you get in touch. 

    If the loan was in joint names, the other person named on the loan needs to keep making the monthly repayments. If the loan is covered by insurance, we’ll let you know how to make a claim.

    What is probate?

    This is the process used to get the court's permission to deal with a deceased person's estate.

    If you're named in someone's will as the executor, you might need to apply for a grant of representation. If there’s no will, a letter of administration might be needed. 

    You can also apply for a grant of probate from the Probate Registry. They'll send this to you after:

    • They check the will is valid
    • They receive completed application forms
    • All taxes are paid

    If you need help applying for probate, we can do this for you.

    In Scotland, this process is called confirmation and is usually handled at the Sheriff Court. 

  • Assets

    Anything belonging to the deceased with a financial value, like money, investments, property, or personal possessions. 


    Anybody that’s been left something in a will or trust.


    The assets left in the deceased person’s will.


    The person named in a will to carry out the wishes of the person who’s died.

    Grant of representation

    A legal document that confirms who’s allowed to deal with an estate.


    The term used when the person has died without a will being made.

    Letters of administration

    This lets a named person deal with the deceased's estate if there isn't an executor.


    This is any debt the deceased has, or any costs an executor has to pay while handling the estate.

    Personal representatives

    As a group, executors and administrators are called personal representatives.


    This is when money or property is held for someone else until they reach a certain age. For example, children who are under 18. 


    A legal document that says who benefits, and in what way, from the estate.

  • Citizens Advice Bureau


    Cruse Bereavement Care

    Call: 0808 808 1677 


    Probate England and Wales

    Call: 0845 302 0900


    Probate Scotland

    Call: 0131 334 0380


    The Bereavement Register

    Call: 0207 089 6403


    Grief Encounter


    Help with what to do after someone dies 


    Information on reporting a death, wills, probate, or inheritance tax