What you need to do first

Register the death

To do this, you will need to:

  1. Get a medical certificate from the hospital, GP or coroner.
  2. Register the death online or at your local register office.

Once registered, you'll receive a death certificate which companies may ask to see. We recommend getting more than one copy.

Find the will

This will help with what you need to do next. It may have details about the funeral and will name the executor(s).

If Lloyds Bank or Bank of Scotland is the named executor, please contact us.

Don’t worry if there is no will in place – you can still get in touch.

Let us know online

Once you receive the death certificate, let us know. If you don’t have this yet, don’t worry, we can still help you.

I have a death certificate

I don't have a death certificate

We're here for you

Our Specialist Bereavement Team are trained to support you. You can call us on 0800 028 0691 (or +44(0) 1244 757 230 if you're outside the UK). We’re here 8am-8pm every day.

For savings accounts you can call us on 0345 8355 376 (​or +44(0) 113 3660 161 from outside the UK). We’re here 8am to 6pm Monday to Saturday (except for bank holidays).

Accounts and products

Understand what happens with each different type of account and/or product we hold for someone that has passed away.

  • Additional cardholders named on accounts won’t be able to use their cards anymore. 

    If the deceased person owed money on any credit cards, there are several options. Usually, we’ll use any other current or savings account balances they have with us to pay them off. If their cards are covered by repayment insurance, we’ll tell you how to make a claim. If neither of these apply, we’ll get in touch to discuss things further.

  • If the loan was just in the deceased’s name and they have money in their other accounts, we’ll discuss your options when you get in touch.

    If the loan was in joint names, the other person named on the loan needs to keep making the monthly repayments. If the loan is covered by insurance, we’ll let you know how to make a claim.

  • If the savings account was just in the deceased’s name and they have money in their other accounts, we’ll discuss your options when you get in touch.

  • If you’ve lost a loved one, and need to let us know, you can contact our specialist bereavement team on 0345 266 6679.

    Lines are open Monday to Friday, 8am-6pm and Saturday, 9am-1pm.

Letting the right people know

Who we can contact

To keep things simple for you, we’ll sort out any of these brands across our wider group at the same time:

  • Lloyds Bank
  • Halifax
  • Bank of Scotland
  • Clerical Medical
  • Birmingham Midshires
  • Scottish Widows

We can help you pay


We can pay this, if there’s money in the account, straight to the funeral directors when you provide the bill.


Some other bills can also be paid if there is enough money available, including probate fees and Inheritance Tax, when you provide the bill.

Estate Administration Service

As part of our wider group, we can introduce you to the Lloyds Bank Estate Administration Service.

If you need support and guidance with any aspect of administering an estate such as applying for a Grant of Probate, you can speak to someone on 0800 056 0171 (or +44 01733 286 482 if calling from abroad). Lines are open Monday to Friday 9am–5pm.

Our initial support and guidance is fee-free and without obligation. If you think the service is right for you, get in touch.

Estate Administration Service

Useful things to know

  • This will help with what you need to do next. It may have details about the funeral and will name the executor(s).

    If Lloyds Bank or Bank of Scotland is named as the executor call us on 0800 056 0171. Lines are open Monday to Friday 9am–5pm. Don’t worry if there is no will in place you can still get in touch.

    A will lets you know the wishes of the person who has passed. If you can’t find the will, you may need to contact the deceased's bank, family solicitor or personal accountant as it may be kept in safe custody.

    An executor of a will is the person named to carry out their wishes. There should be at least one executor and you should let them know what’s happened as soon as possible.

    If there’s no will, an administrator needs to be chosen. You can find out more about what to do on the Government website, as it can vary across the UK.

  • Anyone can notify us of a death but to deal with accounts and products you'll need to be:

    • A next of kin;
    • An executor of the deceased’s will; or
    • A personal representative of the deceased

    To help us review any accounts and products, we’ll need two things:

    Death certificate

    • This will need to be an original copy from the registrar.
    • We can also accept an interim death certificate or a coroner’s certificate.

    Proof of identification

    • We’ll need to identify the person dealing with the estate.
    • If you need to talk to us, we’ll identify you by asking you some security questions.
    • If you’re visiting the branch and you’re also a customer, please bring your debit card or one form of ID with you.
    • If you don’t have an account with us, please bring two forms of ID. At least one will need your residential address on it.

    Examples of what we accept:

    • Valid passport (full and signed)
    • Northern Ireland Electoral Identity Card
    • UK valid photo card full or provisional driving licence
    • EEA valid photo card driving licence
    • Disabled driver pass
    • HMRC assessment or statement
    • Most recent council tax bill
    • Local council rent card or tenancy agreement
    • Most recent utility bill
  • Probate is the legal process which says who can deal with the money, property and possessions of the person who has passed – also known as the estate.

    The person who applies to legally administer the estate is often called the personal representative.

    • The grant of probate is the legal document issued by the Probate Registry. We may not need to see this; it will depend on the products and services held with us.
    • Organisations deal with probate in different ways. You may need to get probate for organisations that are not part of Lloyds Banking Group.
    • To get the legal document back from the Probate Registry usually takes 8–16 weeks. To administer the estate can take 9–12 months. However, it can sometimes take longer.
    • The personal representative may also be known as:
      • An executor when there’s a will
      • An administrator when there isn’t a will
    • The legal documents are known as:
      • The grant of probate (when there’s a will in England and Wales)
      • The grant of letters of administration (when there isn’t a will in England and Wales)
      • Confirmation in Scotland (whether or not there is a will)
    • To find out if a Grant is required, please see:

    If you aren’t sure what probate is or whether you need it, please give us a call on 0800 028 0691. Lines are open 8am–8pm, seven days a week.

  • Bereavement words and phrases explained


    Belongings that have a financial value, including money, investments, property and their possessions.


    A person or an organisation who’s been left something in a will or trust.


    In Scotland the probate is called confirmation.

    Current valuation

    A document that confirms the value of the remaining cash and/or stock held within the person’s account, at the time of death.

    Distribution of assets

    This is the process of selling assets held within a share dealing account as instructed by the named executor of the account.


    The assets (such as, money, investments, property, personal possessions etc.) left by a deceased person.


    The person, named in a will, who carries out the wishes of a person who’s passed.

    Grant of representation

    A legal document that outlines who can deal with the estate left by the person who has passed.

    Grant of probate

    The legal court document that confirms the executors' authority to deal with an estate. If there’s a will, you’ll need to get a Grant of Probate from the Probate Registry.

    If the estate is held in joint names and passes automatically to the surviving owner (as is often the case with married couples), you may not need to apply for probate.


    A term used when someone passes without leaving a will.

    Letters of Administration

    If there is no executor named in a will, then this lets a named person deal with the estate.


    This covers any debt left when someone passes, and costs involved with settling an estate.

    Personal representatives

    The executors and administrators are called personal representatives as a group.


    The process to get permission from the court to deal with the deceased person’s estate.


    A deal to buy or sell an investment such as shares.


    This is when money or property is held for someone under restrictions, such as until they reach a certain age. A trust can also allow assets to go to someone else before they pass.



    A legal document drawn up and witnessed during the person’s lifetime that outlines who receives a share of any assets when they pass.

  • Companies that are a part of our wider group:

    The government Tell Us Once service

    This is a service that lets you tell government organisations about a death. If this is offered, you can let key local and government agencies know over the phone or online.

    Once you have registered the death, the staff will explain how it works. They’ll tell you which departments will be told:

    • Department for Work and Pensions (DWP)
    • HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC)
    • Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA)
    • Passport office
    • Local Authority

    Visit: Tell Us Once - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

    Death Notification Service

    This is a free service, which allows you to tell other banks and insurance companies of a death at the same time.

    Visit: deathnotificationservice.co.uk/

    Stopping mail

    We know that getting mail for someone who has passed can be upsetting. The Bereavement Register is a free service that can help get names removed from mailing lists.

    You can call them on 0207 089 6403 or visit thebereavementregister.org.uk/

  • Please visit the websites below for support services that can help:

    Bereavement step-by-step guide

    Visit: gov.uk/when-someone-dies

    Funeral Directors

    National Association of Funeral Directors 0121 711 1343 or visit nafd.org.uk

    The National Society of Allied and Independent Funeral Directors (SAIF) 0345 230 6777 or visit saif.org.uk

    Grief after bereavement or loss (NHS)

    Visit: nhs.uk/mental-health/feelings-symptoms-behaviours/feelings-and-symptoms/grief-bereavement-loss/

    Cruse Bereavement Care

    Support, counselling, education, advice and information following a bereavement.

    Visit: cruse.org.uk

    Citizens Advice

    Visit: citizensadvice.org.uk

    Information on reporting a death, wills, probate, or inheritance tax

    Visit: gov.uk/browse/births-deaths-marriages/death

Further support

Mental health

If you're experiencing mental health conditions, you're not alone.

Mental health

Support and wellbeing

Find out how we can help and support you. We’re here to make your journey simple.

Support and wellbeing

Money worries

Life doesn’t always go to plan, but the sooner you seek help, the sooner you'll get back on track.

Help with money worries

Someone to manage your affairs

Find out about the different options available and how to become or appoint a representative.

Managing affairs