Using your card abroad
Using your card abroad has got easier
It’s really simple to use your MBNA credit card when you’re abroad. There’s no longer the need to text or call us with your travel plans - your card will work in the same way as it does at home in most countries throughout the world for shopping and withdrawing cash. Fees will apply if you use your card outside the UK, so we’d advise making yourself familiar with these before using your card.
And as you’d expect we’re always on the lookout for unusual activity, wherever you are, and will contact you if we need to check anything.
Before you travel
- Check your credit card to make sure it doesn’t expire while you’re abroad.
- Consider setting up a Direct Debit or standing order to cover any payments due while you're away otherwise you might not be able to use your card.
- Credit card transactions aren’t accepted in certain restricted countries, so if you’re travelling to any of these you won’t be able to use your card.
Making payments from overseas
If you’ve got a UK debit card, you can still make a payment using our automated phone service or Online Card Services.
Otherwise, most banks outside the UK should be able to arrange a SWIFT payment to us. To do this, you’ll need:
Your 16 digit credit card number as a payment reference
IBAN A/C Number: GB02MIDL40025081357948
SWIFT payments could take up to 5 days to reach your credit card account.
Travel Assistance Services
As a cardholder, you can also access a number of emergency services when you’re overseas through Travel Assistance Services in association with International SOS (Intl. SOS), provided your trip lasts fewer than 90 days.
This service isn’t holiday insurance, and you might be charged for some of the services. Each case will be looked at on a case-by-case basis. We’ve provided a summary of the services available below – if you want to know more, check the full terms and conditions here.
- Over the phone medical advice.
- Local medical and dental referrals.
- Evacuation or repatriation to the nearest hospital or country of residence.
- Transportation home of children under 18 if the cardholder is injured or unwell.
- Local legal referrals.
- Emergency translation services.
- Lost document advice and assistance.
You can also contact Intl. SOS on 0800 085 5928. Lines are open lines are open 7 days a week, 365 days a year. If you’re outside the UK, please call +44 (0) 20 8762 8118.