Extra security when you shop and bank online
Keeping you safe
When you use your card online or log in to Online Services, you might notice an extra security step. You need to use two different ways of proving who you are. These could be:
- Entering your password and memorable information
- Using the MBNA Mobile App
- Getting a passcode sent to your mobile phone
- A phone call from us.
If you don't use our app, or we don't have your phone number, you might not be able to continue.
What do I need to do?
To make sure you're able to complete the extra security checks, there are a few things you can do:
- Download the MBNA Mobile App so we can quickly and securely confirm it’s you.
- Check and update your phone number so we’re able to text a passcode to your mobile or call you.
- When prompted, you can trust your device. Trusting your private and secure computer, tablet or mobile means we’ll know it’s you logging in.
Extra security checks explained
By law all banks need to have an extra layer of security for their customers. This is called 'Strong Customer Authentication'. For you, it means more protection when you’re shopping and banking online. It involves extra checks to prove it’s really you and help keep you safer from online fraud.
An extra layer of security makes it harder for fraudsters to target your online accounts. All banks have to do these extra checks.
Most people use passwords as way of proving it’s them. Sadly, passwords can be guessed or stolen by fraudsters. So we’ve added a second layer of security to check it’s really you, and make it harder for anyone else to. There are three ways you can verify yourself:
- “Something you know” - this is a piece of secret information that only you know, like your password.
- “Something you have” - this is a device you own, like your mobile phone.
- “Something you are” - this is something that is unique to you, like your fingerprint.
You need to provide two of these three ways to verify it’s you. This is called 'two-factor authentication'.
Online Services: We don’t charge you for Online Services but your mobile operator may charge for some services, please check with them. Available to Online Services customers with a valid registered phone number.
Our app is available to iPhone and Android users only and minimum operating systems apply, so check the App Store or Google Play for details. Services may be affected by phone signal and functionality. Our app does not work on jailbroken or rooted devices. Device registration required.
Apple and the Apple logo are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries. App Store is a service mark of Apple Inc. Google Play is a trademark of Google LLC.
Terms and conditions apply.