By using MBNA’s websites, you agree to the terms and conditions of this privacy statement.
Customer privacy is important to us
At MBNA, we fully recognise the importance of keeping our customers' personal and account information secure.
- We use established and exacting security standards to protect personal information from unauthorised access or unlawful disclosure, accidental loss or destruction, or damage to personal information.
- We verify the identity of our customers through the use of personal passwords or other information, in order to allow access to their account/s.
- We use recognised industry protection measures in order to protect our customers' accounts from fraudulent use.
MBNA use files called Flash Objects in connection with Online Card Services. They support our log in system which serves to give you reassurance that you’re at our genuine website and can enter your password with confidence.
Information we collect and use when you visit our websites
When you visit this site, we may collect certain types of information from you, such as information you voluntarily provide via forms, surveys, applications, etc. We may also collect information about you from your online browsing, including your preferences, pages visited, technical information regarding your device and operating systems, such as your internet protocol address, domain name, system configuration and settings. We will also collect cell tower and GPS location data for the purposes of preventing and detecting fraud.
The MBNA website server automatically recognises and records the domain name from which you access the internet and the names of the pages you visited while at our site.
- We may use the information gathered when you visit our websites to improve the content of the website and make it more useful, as well as to monitor and/or record your activities for quality evaluation, training, legal and regulatory purposes.
- We may display personalised messages to you when you access Online Card Services.
When you apply for a product
If you apply for an MBNA product or if you hold an account with us any personal information which you provide to us will be used in accordance with this policy and the ‘How we use your information’ provisions set out in the credit card agreement. For example, we will share information with payment system providers and if you have a branded credit card, we may share your information with that organisation for the purposes of fulfilling rewards programmes.
Any personal information which you provide to us as part of any eligibility check you complete on our website, will be used in accordance with this policy and the eligibility check terms. For example we may use information you provide, whether or not you proceed with a full credit card application, to help us analyse and develop our products, services, website content and advertising materials.
We may use any contact details that you provide to us in the course of an application for a product or as part of an eligibility check to contact you about your application or your account. We may contact you by email, text message, telephone or by post.
How we share your data
We may share information as required or as permitted by law with:
- credit reference agencies;
- fraud prevention agencies;
- service providers who perform services for us and help us operate our business including technology providers, web analytics providers (Google Analytics), third party advertising agencies and social media platforms (for the purposes of advertising). Where we share information with service providers, we require them to safeguard such information and only use it for the purposes we specify;
- Companies within the MBNA group (including our ultimate holding company and any company which is a subsidiary of our holding company);
- Payment scheme providers (for example Visa, Mastercard or American Express).
We may transfer personal information to other countries outside of the European Economic Area. In such circumstances we are responsible for making sure that your information continues to be protected.
What are your rights and choices?
You have a right to access, update, and change or correct your personal information held by MBNA. If you want to do so or if you have any questions about how we process your personal information, please click here to contact us.
You have choices about how MBNA use your information to market to you. If you would like to opt out of direct marketing by MBNA, please click here to contact us.
If you would like to opt out of seeing advertisements for MBNA products on social media platforms you will need to opt out of these advertisements with the social media provider.
We will not provide personal information to any third parties for them to use for their own direct marketing purposes unless we have obtained your prior consent to do so.
If you would like to learn more about these practices, view the privacy notices of these third party companies, or to opt out of their use of non-obvious personal information please visit the websites of the following third party advertising service providers:
Read about the Internet Advertising Bureau’s Online Behavioural Advertising Framework at: iabeurope.eu/news
MBNA's banner advertisements and online applications may contain small graphics with tags in them. These tags work in conjunction with cookies and allow us to measure the effectiveness and response rates of our advertising.
Further protection of your privacy - policies of other service providers
Whilst exploring the services offered through MBNA's website, please be aware that other online retailers, affinity groups, third party internet sites and third party services accessible through MBNA's website have separate privacy and data collection policies and practices which are independent of, and may differ from, MBNA's policies and practices. MBNA is not responsible or liable for these independent policies and practices. It is your responsibility to review them and decide whether such policies and practices satisfactorily protect your rights.