Changes to shopping and using your cards online
Make sure you’re ready
Soon all financial service providers will be adding extra security checks. If you shop online or use Online Card Services, this will affect you.
These checks will happen when you:
- Shop online
- Log in to Online Card Services
- Add a new payee
If you do any of these things, you may notice an extra step in security. This is because you’ll need to use two different ways of proving who you are. Your password and memorable information count as one way. The other way could be using your MBNA Card Services App, getting a passcode sent to your mobile, or us calling your landline.
It’s important that you’re ready for these extra steps. You might not be able to make your purchase or log in if you’re not prepared.
How do I prepare?
To make sure you’re ready for the extra security checks, there are a couple of things you can do:
- Download our Card Services App to be able to quickly and securely confirm it’s you.
- Check and update your phone number so we’re able to text a passcode to your mobile or call your landline.
Be aware of fraud
Fraudsters may contact you pretending to be us. They do this to trick you into sharing your details and they're good at making them look real.
- We'd never ask you to send us any person or account details by email or text message.
- You should only share account details if you're logged in or you've called us. We'd never ask for your full memorable information.
- Don't assume letters, phone calls, emails or text messages are genuine, even if they seem to known information about you.
Check out our security page to find out more about keeping your card and account details safe.
Important legal information. We don't charge you to use our mobile services but your mobile operator may charge you for certain services (such as downloading or using the app), so please check with them. Services may be affected by phone signal and functionality. Terms and conditions apply. Apple, the Apple logo, Touch ID and Face ID are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries. App Store is a service mark of Apple Inc. Android and Google Play are trademarks of Google LLC. Mobile alerts are sent throughout the day, 7 days a week including bank holidays. This is a free service for all eligible current account customers.